Saturday, July 02, 2005

Just for sara....

I had a request to blog about my mammogram... so boys, allow your eyes to glaze over and skip this post all together... it's merely informational... girly stuff you know.

Well Sara, frankly, I don't know what all the fuss was about. I had worked myself into a frenzy about it, heard all sorts of horror stories... (maybe it's worse if you have smaller boobs????) Basically, they take two shots of each breast. It's a plastic plexiglass looking contraption. They put you in one of those o-so-sexy gowns, but instead of your bum hanging out ...this time it's your girls...

Okay, they take breast number one, arrange it on the plate, you hold on with your opposite arm to this handle thinger...then she lowers the top plate and screws it down. It does NOT get smashed to bits. Yes, it was snug... but not the horror I was expecting... I had to talk my poor breasts into finally agreeing to go for DAYS...

The technician walks away, tells you to hold your breath (total of about 20 seconds MAYBE). Then comes back and releases your pancake boob. She then tilts the contraption to about a 45 degree angle and kind of lays your breast against the one side and presses the other panel against it.

Again, you hold your breath and she snaps a picture. This whole thing is repeated on breast number two and in my case, she took the pictures to the doctor on call and he evaluated them on the spot. All things normal and lump-free (aww how cute, it matches my cooter.... ). The results are then sent to your referring doctor and you wait for another year and repeat.

Honestly sara, there is NOTHING to worry about. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again, better a slight discomfort than the alternative possibilities right?

Hope this helped girlie!

xoxo

Lisa


Free Hit Counter