Saturday, August 06, 2005

I'm home....Briefly.

Got back yesterday from Omaha. I actually enjoyed the trip... except for the Steak. HR and I went out with the Account Executive and the SSP for dinner one night. We had planned to go to this German restaurant that we found online...but they both turned up their noses and told us they were taking us to Gorats... get this...


HOME OF THE BEST STEAK in the country.

Now, I am game for a good slab of beef as much as the next person... in fact, it's one of my favorite meals..But the "best steak in the COUNTRY"? I come from Kansas City friends... home of world reknowned BBQ and Beef. Let's just say... I was skeptical.

It was packed, always a good sign. Too packed though. I actually OVER tipped the waitress because I was so impressed with her table maneuvering skills. I could have literally slid my straw into the guys drink at the table next to me and he probably wouldn't have noticed...I did however notice how many times he elbowed me while cutting his "steak".

So I ordered a filet mingnon...(you can't really screw up a great cut of steak like that...I figured I was safe.)

I ordered it rare. It came with hash browns ?????? baked potato, salad and choice of vegetable of the day or this maniciolli stuff I had never heard of .... Account Exec recommended the Hash browns (crispy) so I tried it. and I had never heard of Maniciolli so I tried it.

People it was ASS.

The only thing I have to say about this place... is I asked for "rare" and that's what I got. Have they not heard of SEASONING in Nebraska ???? It tasted like boiled cow ass.

The salad was wilted - the maniciolli ? penne noodles (over-cooked) with a spoonful of Ragut on top. and the hashbrowns were literally out of a bag, shredded potato bits... mushy!!!!! and to make it even worse... each portion of your meal came on a separate plate... so you could see it alone... in all it's glory!!! =(

Needless to say. The next night when we told them we were going to Charlie's by the Lake, and they suggested some *Paul's Catfish House" or something like that... (because according to them... Charlie's didn't have good food, WE WENT TO CHARLIE's.

It was awesome! Nebraska redeemed itself in my eyes. The salad was great, the service was FANTASTIC, and my shrimp was heavenly. I am never listening to those two men EVER AGAIN when it comes to food. (period).

Other news. Lisa broke her toe. Yes, that's right. I don't know how it broke. I have done much worse things to my toes over the years and they haven't broken. I had gotten out of the bath and went out to my bag to grab something... and on the way back into the bathroom I slipped on a small puddle and kind of jerked my toe a little.... it hurt, but nothing serious. I continued getting ready for work, put on my scrubs... my running shoes and off to work I went.

It bugged me slightly during the day, if I pushed off the ball of my feet too hard, but nothing major.. I didn't give it much thought to be honest.

Until I got home and took my shoes off. HOLY MOTHER OF GOD. It was black, and purple, and blue, and swollen. The knuckle part was stretched so taught it looked like someone blew up a little toe balloon and stuck it where my real toe was supposed to be.

I immediately called HR and said "you need to get your ass up here NOW... I SO broke my toe!". She came up and we spent the next half hour inspecting it. I actually took pictures of it but seeing as I have the WORLD's UGLIEST feet, I won't subject you to actually viewing them =)

That in a nutshell is about it. Bad steak, great seafood, broken toe.... oh and bikers... it was Sturgess ( and I am not sure how you spell that so don't attack me....) this weekend and they are ALL heading up Highway 29. I must have seen about 200 bikes an hour. It was great.

Funny how scary bikers can look and how sweet every single one was that talked to us. kind of made me wish I was more adventurous =)


Free Hit Counter