Thursday, May 19, 2005

George.

I am sitting outside on my deck, it is a beautiful night. I think there were storms directly to the south of us, but they never made it up this far. It didn't stop the sky from turning into that interesting orange shade that sometimes happens before a storm, I love it when the sky turns orange. I am talking to HR on the phone. (It is her week to travel - that means I am out next week. joy.) I finish my cigarette and go back inside, curl up on the couch and continue our nonsensical chatter.

When I heard it.

The most horrendous screaming sound coming from the back yard. WTH? I hang up on HR, grab the flashlight and fly out to see what was causing such a commotion.

I figured the cat caught another bird. She has a horrid habit of capturing these birds and then torturing them endlessly, without actually finishing the job. The last time she did this I had to ask Dave to finish the poor thing off. (It was suffering and I hate that). I will leave it up to him to tell you the rest of THAT story!

I swat cat on the ass so she drops it, only to be scooped up immediately by dog. (you remember my dog...the URINATOR).

BAD DOG! DROP IT! BAD! DROP IT NOW!

Thud.

HOLY SHIT. It's a baby squirrel? I think. Dave by this time, is outside trying to figure out what the hell I am up to. There I am: trying to fend off dog and cat and still shine the light on .....whatever the hell it is.

dave: uhm, why don't you put the animals inside?
me: uh, okay. (that folks, is why he makes the big bucks...)

I come back out after depositing the offending animals inside and proceed to identify the lump. It is the teeniest, tiniest, little bitty bunny!! Immediately,the 6-year-old in me awakens and decides that the only course of action is to take it inside,and to love it and pet it and squeeze it and call it George.

Of course I don't voice this out loud because that is just silly. BUT man I wanted that bunny!

We moved him over to the corner of the yard to some leaves where hopefully George's mom would find him before some horrible mean bunny-eating owl, and went to bed.

I got up this morning and George was gone. I don't want to think negatively so I have to tell myself he's with his family. ~ whatever gets me through the day okay?

That was my excitement for the night!


Free Hit Counter