Tuesday, May 10, 2005

And now for something completely different....

For lack of anything interesting enough to write about going on in my life at the moment, I am going to tell you all about the first time I met my husband. ( I know, I know y'all can barely contain your excitement...)


NOW for a little pre-meeting history:


We met in Excite Chat. For those of you who frequented Excite, you
will remember it fondly, for those of you who have never heard of it,
it was a great free chat. I haven't been able to find anything like it
since it closed. There are some great chats out there, but none
approximate the 'feel' that existed in Excite...BUT,I digress... I am rambling.


The night I met Dave started out like any other, I had done my regular home stuff, the kids were in bed; and I was just settling in for a nice night of chatting. I loaded up excite and waited untill a spot opened up in the room so I could enter. I got my little avatar in there and landed smack dab on top of Dave....I couldn't move to save my life. He to this day claims that I landed on him on purpose and stayed there because I wanted so desperately to talk to him and that was the only thing I could think of to open a conversation with.


~ whatever gets him through the night.


We were both with other people at the time IRL and although Dave and I started out as friends and just enjoyed joking around and playing online games, it quickly turned into something more. I was wary though, I knew I 'thought' I had feelings for him but who knew if they would translate into real life or if I was just making him into what I thought I wanted in my head.

So we proposed a meeting.

He would fly up to Buffalo NY and meet me on the Canadian side of the Falls. I concocted this story to tell my then-boyfriend (also named Dave, although there really is NO comparison) about a weekend retreat some of the girls from work and I were going on.

BACK OFF.... I never said I was perfect! (in defense of myself I actually was just trying to avoid hurting Canadian Dave in case this US Dave turned out to not be what I thought. - Doesn't sound that great even now when I say it.... )

Anyway, he found out about the meeting prior to it actually happening and agreed to let me go anyway. And before you say "awww what a nice guy, he must have really loved her to let her go like that". Let me just say he was not a lonely boy that weekend, so any pining he may or may not have been doing; he did while parking his salami in someone else's weenie-cozy.

BACK TO ME NOW:

That brings us to the day of meeting... I went and had my hair done, nails done, packed up the car and headed out to Niagara Falls. I lived about 45 minutes from there so TRUST me when I say I got there PLENTY early. 4 hours early to be exact.

Plenty early = way too much time to stress myself out!

I checked in, unpacked a bit, freshened make-up and hair, fussed with the room some more, had a drink (chocolate martini) to calm the nerves. (and because they are bloody delicious!)

Looked at the clock...2 more hours to kill. SHIT.

Had another chocolate martini and decided to go down to the lobby to scope out the perfect place to arrange myself for the big "first look". You know, I wanted to look calm, cool, and impossibly seductive. We picked a 5 star hotel for our rendezvous. I had never stayed in a 5 star hotel before, but I now know.... I want to be buried in one. It was heavenly!

The Marriot, 14th floor, jacuzzi room, overlooking the falls.

1.5 hours had passed by this time, I was on my 3rd Chocolate Martini, (no, I am not a lush...just scared shitless). I had finally found the perfect spot in the lobby, I had bought and consumed 3 packages of certs in the hotel store (noone wants the first kiss to be marred by stale martini and cigarette breath!).

Five more minutes till he was due.

SHIT what was I thinking, I don't look cool here!!! I look too eager! I am losing major cool points! I frantically scan the lobby looking for a more appropriate spot - when I see the curving staircase that winds in front of the 4 story
windows looking out over the main drive... AHAH! perfect! I can see him before he sees me!!

I make a mad dash for the stairs... I leap up them 3 at a time, I only have 3 minutes left!!!!

A bus pulls in from the airport, I stand there both hands pressed against the glass, confident that up here, I will see him first.. I can always run if he lied and isn't what I thought. Right ??? The bus empties...there is noone left but the driver.. I press my nose against the glass leaving a small smear of makeup on the otherwise pristine surface.

Maybe he chickened out? I close my eyes... maybe that wasn't his bus. Maybe he missed the bus. Maybe.....

A limousine pulls in, a super-stretch... white ... HUGE. I had no more time to think to myself, "what kind of pretentious ass takes a stretch limo from the airport?", when out steps Dave.

I knew him instantly.

He takes his bag from the driver and turns, here comes my first look at him (the pretentious ass), I hold my breath. He is almost completely facing me now, I squint and press my nose harder against the glass, almost completely forcing myself THROUGH the glass to see him in detail.

AND THE FUCKER LOOKS UP.

That's right. UP.

AT ME. Nose pressed up against the glass, (probably flattened), hands pressed palm-flat, against the glass. Looking decidedly UNCOOL. Four hours of strategic first view placement planning shot to hell.

And THAT my friends, will forever be his first memory of me.

Fabulous.

I am such a geek.


Free Hit Counter