Sunday, June 19, 2005

Happy Father's Day

Happy Father's day, to all you fathers, father-in-laws, step-father's, boyfriends raising someone else's children, uncles who take in their nieces and/or nephews, grand-fathers, great-grandfathers and for those of us lucky enough to still have them in our lives; great-great-grandfathers, foster dads.... expecting dads...


I think I covered you all. Growing up I never had a father, mine left when I was 6 months old. My mother did an amazing job of being the sole bread winner in the family, but because she was a doctor, I saw her much less than I would have liked. When I was 13 she met and subsequently married a man named Victor. But at 13, I didn't appreciate any of his good qualities, I only resented him for 'changing' my life as I had grown accustomed to it. I was a rotten 13-year-old.

Now, as a 35-year-old, I can appreciate his kindness and the gentle way with which he puts up with my mother's nattering. She is a lovely woman, but prone to being slightly on the bossy side of life. I suppose that comes from having a 'man's job' way back in the day before it was actually acceptable. Who knows. He has loved her with all her quirks, for 22 years and counting. (not to mention the fact that he had to put up with me as a step-child - and I was a shit to him.

It was when I married Dave however, that I finally found out what it was like to have a father. The gifts were two-fold. I watched Dave with my son, trying patiently (and sometimes not so patiently), trying to teach him right from wrong and guide him into manhood kicking and screaming. I watch him sit him down and explain things to him and help him with his homework, all of it with patience even though I am sure he would rather be doing something less thankless. I watched him when his brother called and asked him to take in his niece because he couldn't care for her. It took all of 23 minutes for him to figure out how he could rearrange his life to fit her in.

So thank you Dave, for finally showing me what a real father is like.

And Happy Father's Day


Free Hit Counter